5 Health Benefits of Having a Dog
Jan 29 2015
Dogs can be great pets for kids and adults, but did you know there are also health benefits to having a dog?
- Dogs can help boost the immune system particularly in kids. The journal Pediatrics reported that children who are around dogs and cats during the first year of life are healthier and have fewer respiratory infections than children without contact to these animals. The thinking is: exposure to the dander and microbes pets carry can help bolster immunity.
- More joy. Dog owners have a greater sense of wellbeing, which makes them less likely to suffer from depression.
- Having a dog can lead to a healthier heart. All those late night, early morning, and midday strolls with a pup are so good for you.
- Dogs help lower your stress levels. Have you heard of therapy dogs, animals that are brought into communities to help people that have suffered from a traumatic event? Contact with dogs has a proven impact on reducing stress. Being around dogs can actually reduce anxiety-associated hormones like cortisol.
- Impact on allergies. Kids with dogs are less likely to suffer allergies. Additionally, dogs are said to reduce kids' chances of developing eczema. Again, it’s that exposure which is said to improve immunity.
Back to Health Tips
5 Ways Social Media Impacts Your Children
Jul 10 2018
Stay Present with Mindful Meditation
Jun 25 2018
Summer Tips and Tricks for Moms and Dads
Jun 22 2018
When to Use LiveHealth Online This Summer
Jun 20 2018
Tips to Keep Your Cool in the Heat
May 30 2018
5 Questions with LHO Therapist, Tish Wakefield
May 28 2018
Anxiety Management: Minimizing Stress in Daily Life
May 23 2018
5 Questions with Dr. Sylvia Romm
Apr 30 2018
5 Things to Know Before Going Tanning
Apr 25 2018
4 Reasons to Use LiveHealth Online for Allergies
Apr 24 2018
4 Things You May Not Know About Prescriptions
Mar 21 2018
4 Things You Can Do if Your Kids are Suffering from Spring Allergies
Feb 28 2018