5 Reasons to Have Regular, Sit-Down Family Dinners
Jun 07 2015
- Eating together is good for a child’s stability. Studies show that children who eat with their families are significantly less likely to have trouble with drugs and alcohol and are more likely to perform better in school.
- Eating dinner as a family offers a great opportunity to simply talk and helps children develop social skills. One way to get started is to go around the table and ask everyone about the best and/or worst parts of their day. For other ideas on how to spark conversation and keep kids of all ages interested in participating during mealtime, visit: http://thefamilydinnerproject.org/.
- Eating as a family provides a way to have time together without the intrusion of cell phones or other screens — especially if you make the dinner table a gadget-free zone. It’s also an ideal time to give your eyes and back a break from too much screen time. Bending over a phone is bad for your posture and constantly focusing on a small screen can cause eyestrain. All the more reason to put devices away.
- Kids who have dinner with their parents often have stronger vocabularies simply from being exposed to adult conversation.
- According to a recent study published in the journal, Pediatrics, children of families who eat together are 24% more likely to eat healthier foods, while children who do not eat with their parents at least twice a week are 40% more likely to be overweight. Regularly preparing dinner provides an occasion to talk about what healthy eating is and isn’t — from the menu to portion control. Family dinners also offer a way to introduce new foods and expand a child’s palate in a comfortable environment.
Back to Health Tips
5 Ways Social Media Impacts Your Children
Jul 10 2018
Stay Present with Mindful Meditation
Jun 25 2018
Summer Tips and Tricks for Moms and Dads
Jun 22 2018
When to Use LiveHealth Online This Summer
Jun 20 2018
Tips to Keep Your Cool in the Heat
May 30 2018
5 Questions with LHO Therapist, Tish Wakefield
May 28 2018
Anxiety Management: Minimizing Stress in Daily Life
May 23 2018
5 Questions with Dr. Sylvia Romm
Apr 30 2018
5 Things to Know Before Going Tanning
Apr 25 2018
4 Reasons to Use LiveHealth Online for Allergies
Apr 24 2018
4 Things You May Not Know About Prescriptions
Mar 21 2018
4 Things You Can Do if Your Kids are Suffering from Spring Allergies
Feb 28 2018