12 Tips on How to Deal with Allergies
May 03 2015
Spring means warmer weather, but it also means allergies for many. Here are some tips to help out allergy sufferers and ensure you can still enjoy the season.
- Be extra-aware of your surroundings. Are there pets around? Is the pollen count high? What seasons are your allergies at their worst? Knowledge is the first step to preparation.
- If it is windy, stay inside. Do not open your windows when pollen counts are high. Stay up to date by checking a pollen count website.
- If you need to go outside, try doing so in the early morning or late in the day, when the pollen count tends to be lower.
- If you are doing outdoor chores, wearing a surgical mask can help prevent pollen and other outdoor allergens from reaching your sinuses.
- Try not to rub your eyes or nose---even if they are itching. This can make the symptoms worse and increase the possibility of a cold.
- Get enough sleep. Fatigue is an often overlooked but a very real allergy symptom.
- Speak with a doctor about which medicines are most effective for you. Certain symptoms require different types of medications; itchy eyes might respond better to allergy eye drops than allergy pills. Nasal sprays like Nasacort and Flonase, and histamine blockers like Allegra, Zyrtec and Claritin can also help alleviate allergy symptoms. And always check expiration dates on any medications to make sure they are still effective.
- Gargle with salt water. Some allergy sufferers find this to be very soothing.
- There are also immunotherapy options—longer-term treatments with allergy shots—often worth discussing with a medical professional. If your allergies are causing you to miss work or get infections, speak with your doctor about seeing an allergist who can run tests and discuss options.
- Do a thorough spring-cleaning. Pay special attention to your air conditioners and make sure they are properly cleaned out; air conditioners can accumulate dust and other irritants in the off-season.
- Similarly, clean mattresses, rugs and carpets. You might be dealing with built-up irritants in these areas every day and not even know it. Take the proper measures to steam, vacuum and thoroughly clean these items.
- Learn more by speaking with a doctor via LiveHealth Online. A board-certified doctor is available 24/7 for a live chat via your computer or mobile device and ready to answer your questions, diagnose symptoms, suggest options, and — in some states — even write prescriptions. Don’t let allergies keep you from doing what you need to do.
Back to Health Tips
5 Ways Social Media Impacts Your Children
Jul 10 2018
Stay Present with Mindful Meditation
Jun 25 2018
Summer Tips and Tricks for Moms and Dads
Jun 22 2018
When to Use LiveHealth Online This Summer
Jun 20 2018
Tips to Keep Your Cool in the Heat
May 30 2018
5 Questions with LHO Therapist, Tish Wakefield
May 28 2018
Anxiety Management: Minimizing Stress in Daily Life
May 23 2018
5 Questions with Dr. Sylvia Romm
Apr 30 2018
5 Things to Know Before Going Tanning
Apr 25 2018
4 Reasons to Use LiveHealth Online for Allergies
Apr 24 2018
4 Things You May Not Know About Prescriptions
Mar 21 2018
4 Things You Can Do if Your Kids are Suffering from Spring Allergies
Feb 28 2018